Thursday, October 8, 2015

Overmedication of children with ADHD (Primitiva Hernandez)

Hello fellow students,

I read an article that doctor Richard K. Nakamura wrote to address the US House of Representatives and the Committee of Government Reform. Nakamura has extensive knowledge in the field of neuroscience. I like how he starts by saying that he is not a doctor or a psychiatrist. He has over 26 years of experience working in the field of neuroscience. His concern is the same as many other neuroscientist and that is that children are being misdiagnosed with ADHD and therefore not treated for the correct mental illness. He also emphasizes on the importance of getting other children evaluated and given the appropriate treatment in order to help them achieve academic success. He states that it is important to see behavioral therapy as a first and them medicate them if necessary and as needed according to each individual case. Makamura notes that there is not enough research done on the effects that some of these medications have on children. Also, Makamura states that some children with ADHD behaviors are being ignored and not accurately evaluated. He believes that this can cripple their development and cause serious lifelong consequences.
I agree with Makamuras statements and feel grateful that scientist with his background and experience are addressing these issues to our government officials. I feel that there is a great need to properly evaluate and diagnose our children as well as provide behavior therapy and then appropriate medication if necessary.

Primi



http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science-news/2002/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorders-are-children-being-overmedicated.shtml

2 comments:

  1. I agree that we have allowed the over medication of our children become a major issue branding this generation. We rely on physicians to treat our children as their own and to fight for their best quality of life. Unfortunately, they've failed us in that regard. I think there needs to be more light shed on this topic. Its apparent that we have to take control of our children's destiny and demand alternative treatment to the mental & physical disabilities effecting our youth. Great topic, Primi. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really hit close to home because I have a younger brother who was 'diagnosed' with ADHD. Over the years he has had behavioral issues and symptoms more in line with a mood disorder, but his doctor was intent on dosing him with Ritalin. There was no thorough diagnosis or observation period, just a scribble on a prescription pad. After about 6 months of basically no change in his behavior, I convinced my mother to take him to a therapist. His dose was gradually decreased, and now he's completely un-medicated and doing well in therapy! It's a shame that many doctors are so intent on slapping an easy label (and prescription) on a child rather than really getting to the heart of their issues.

    ReplyDelete