Thursday, November 19, 2015

End of Life Option Act Legal in All United States

Thesis:The End of Life Option Act gives people like my aunt the opportunity to say goodbye to their loved ones when their quality of life has not reached the worst stage yet, when they are not in a bottom less debt and therefore pass away in a more peaceful manner.

Counterargument:
It is true that many opponents of the Bill had valid arguments in their favor such as their moral code, and although I may agree with their point of view to a certain degree, I hold my stance and support a wide nation legalization of the bill. For example, McGreevy wrote, “Most Republican lawmakers opposed the bill on moral grounds.” One may ask, what do “moral grounds” mean?  One interpretation can be that doctors have sworded an oath to do no harm. This would mean that prescribing a lethal dose to assist a suicide would be contradicting their oath embedded in their moral code by not doing what is right for the patient and  shortening their lives. This is confirmed by Nguyen when he states, “It’s important to understand that as physicians, we may help prolong life, but we don’t prolong the dying process. We don’t speed up the dying process, but we don’t delay it either” (as cited in Bharath, 2015). However, one must advocate for those terminal patients that despite what kind of morality they uphold, it is their ultimate human and civil right to be given the right to choose what kind of deaths they wish to have. This would represent the most pure form of sovereignty as citizens of the United States.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Primitiva, I love your topic and absolutely agree with you. People should have the right to avoid a long, drawn out, miserable, painful and expensive death. I hadn't ever thought of the right to euthanasia as being a civil right, but people do need this right protected. I understand the counterargument, however compassionate euthanasia
    is (or should be) a choice. One does not have to choose it if they do not feel it is moral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that this legislation was going on until I over heard your topic. I totally agree with it. No one should have to suffer so much pain. I don't think anyones morals should be placed on another person. Everyone has their own morals and no ones is better than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had mix feelings about this bill when I read about it, but after looking at both sides. I think people should have the right to end their life and endure no more pain if they wish.

    ReplyDelete